My favorite things about last night, in no particular order:
- Derek Jeter hugging a besuited Paul O'Neill, and bringing a tiny tear to my eye
- Marion Rivera saying he was thinking of retiring, but now he wants to play five more years, then cackling and jumping up and down
- The satisfied look on Hideki Matsui's face
- Nick Swisher celebrating exactly how you would expect Nick Swisher to celebrate.
- The knowledge that there's never been a pitcher in the history of baseball that you would feel as confident bringing in to get the last five outs of the World Series than Rivera
- That once again, no one let Bloomberg speak
- Seeing all the fringe guys spray champagne and act like maniacs -- the Sergio Mitres, the Ramiro Penas, the training staff...
- Beating Pedro, one last time for old time's sake
- Not having to listen to Buck and McCarver for another year
- Seeing the World Series trophy in the arms of Derek Jeter. Where it belongs.
- The immediate reaction from Yankees haters across the land: "Payroll! Waaaaah!"
- This fucking feeling, back again
People at work keep congratulating me like I had a baby. What they don't understand is...this is better.